12826847

If a young person has in the past told some really hurtful

Customer Question

If a young person has in the past told some really hurtful lies about her family and partner but is now receiving help in the form of therapy for this but she has split from her partner now and this ex is now telling everyone the lies that this young person has told and is now threatening to go to her workplace to make sure they know, so really bringing up the past that had been put behind her with the help of therapists, is there anyway we can stop this ex partner telling everyone as it is causing trauma and possibly loss of job etc Any ideas would be grateful.

M Reeve

Is he saying anything untrue?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

The partner is we presume is just telling it how it is not sure if it is being exaggerated at all however it had all been sorted but due to the split this ex partner is out to bring up the past and ruin this young persons life for which she is ashamed of already and as I said receiving help for it.

I am sorry but if he is not saying anything untrue then no action can be taken. A person is free to tell the truth as publicly as they like.

The closest you could come to any action is the contact with her employer. The difficulty with that is two fold really. The first is that he hasn't done it. The second is that the report to her employer may be relevant. I don't know what lies she has told or what the nature of her work involves. There are cases where conduct outside work can be relevant to a person's employment. If the report is of a relevant kind and it is truthful then he is free to make it.

The closest you could come to any action is to argue that this amounts to indirect harassment and thats not the strongest I'm afraid. Indirect harassment is always more complicated to show that direct harassment. When the extent of the complaint is that a person is basically broadcasting a truthful comment that the target would rather others did not hear, it gets even harder to argue unfortunately.

Its not a malicious communication because its true.

Unfortunately you cannot stop a person revealing the truth as a general rule.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please remember to rate my service either OK SERVICE or above and then I will give you related information for free.