Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

we have just terminated a verbal contract

Customer Question

we have just terminated a verbal contract with a self employed taxi driver through his verbal abuse and threats to one of the directors of the company it is over cash which he owed the company this was taken out of his contract money which we receive from the county council is he entitled to ask for the money owed to him before we receive it from the county council we are only a small company and do not have enough funds to pay him before the council pays us can he then demand the cash for this month and if we cant pay can he add a 10% daily charge onto any money owed to him this is uder uk law

Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

You can only make his payment conditional upon your payment by the council if that is what was agreed.

As for him adding a 10% daily change it is just a nonsense. In the absence of an express contractual provision allowing him to charge interest he would only be able to claim interest under a court order and at most he would get 8% per ANNUM.

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

dear sir

many thanks for your answer this

is most help full to me

steven creagh

Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

No problem.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any follow up points or wish to tell me about the terms of the verbal contract.

AJ