How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33325
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I wish to purchase a property which is already registered with

Customer Question

I wish to purchase a property which is already registered with the land registry and I understand that the transfer of deeds/title must be done electronically?. I would like to have the transfer notarised retaining the paper deeds, should this be a problem?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
Do you understand that there are no longer paper deeds which prove Title in any way?
Why do you wish to have it notarised?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Yes I understand all is electronically registered, but is that not a true reflection of the transfer information, I am told that the reason for the electronic system is for the LR to be able to idientify the owner of land etc, dont have a problem but I also wish to maintain paper deeds


I feel its prudent to maintain the paper deeds, I don't have total confidence in any system which relies only on electronic means. As the LR system should only reflect the tangible deeds, surely I have the right to have the paper deeds signed and sealed as a backup to the LR details?


Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
The actual Transfer of the property will be a document which is signed by all parties in the presence of Witnesses.
There is no reason why you could not keep a copy of this (indeed most solicitors do) but it will never serve as poof of your ownership.
That is proved by the Official Copy of the Register (a most unimpressive document these days) but again there is no reason why you should not keep a copy of this as well
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Claire

Sorry to be pain, my reason for enquiring is because when I recently settled my mortgage I was shocked to receive only a photocopy of the orginal signed deeds, when I made further inquiries I was told by a solicitor that the LR/town hall had probably destroyed them and I did not consent to this. I feel that the LR is surpassing there need to maintain records by retaining original/wet signature papers, why does the LR want the orginal papers should they not be content with copies and the owners should retain the orginal signed papers. And in legal terms what does Mandatory mean? and what does Register mean? I know that when one registers a car they then become the registered keeper. My main issue is that to rely totally on Electronic means is far from prudent.


Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Whilst I may personally agree with you this was a battle lost by default some years ago.
When I first trained many many years ago I worked in an area where land was not Registered so I has the incredible pleasure of handling documents that evoked the past - however when a property is first Registered the Paper Title become Redundant and is no longer part of what has to be passed from owner to owner
Mandatory - which in this case means Compulsory - Registration has been rolling out now since 1925 and there are few titles left where the history of the property is tangible to touch
At first there was of course no Electronic involvement - it was a case of Land Registry Certificates being produced (and I assume index cards at the Land Registry)
If you are the owner at the time of first Registration then you can ask for the paper documents to be returned to you. If they are not then if they are old they are passed to the Local Archives
The Register is just that - the record of who owns a particulate property and what restrictions there are upon it.
The Original signed papers are NOT proof of current ownership - when they were it was too easy to loose them - or for the possession of the deeds to be abused

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions