Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Enforcing Swiss debt in UK

Customer Question

Enforcing Swiss debt in UK
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

On the Swiss judgment has been issued against the defendant you would then register it with the High Court London and commence enforcement action.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, Many thanks for you reply. This question was posted before I finished writing it and I couldnt delete it. I then posted a second question (see below) ....

2 years ago I worked in Switzerland for a year. During my time there, I was given a Swiss bank account and credit card. Just before returning to the UK, I bought a new PC for 1500 swiss francs, about £1000, which I paid for with the Swiss credit card. After the pc was delivered, realised that it was the wrong spec and contacted the seller to exchange it. The seller refused, so I rejected the item and contacted the card company. They offered no help, so I logged a complaint and refused to pay the cost of the pc ont he card account, assuming they had similar rules to the UK consumer credit act. Now 2 years later, they have written to me in the UK saying they will apply to make me bankrupt for a debt I am disputing. Can the Swiss card company do this in the UK? What are my rights here?

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Based on the information you have supplied I cannot see any grounds for the Swiss bank to start any recovery action in the UK. The UK Courts would have no jurisidiction over debts due in Switzerland. However, as I said earlier, there is nothing to stop action being commenced in Swiss Courts and being enforced in the UK. But disputing the debt on the grounds you have mentioned could be a way to avoid the Swiss judgment being registered in the UK.