29905560

Paid holidays for contractors

Customer Question

Paid holidays for contractors
Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to be able to assist with your question today. Please explain your situation in a bit more detail
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I have now returned to the UK but I was not paid for any holidays I took. As I was employed by a UK company who paid my salary, am I antitled to paid holidays under new UK rules which came into force recently?

What exactly was your employment status, were you an employee, self employed, agency worker, etc?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

In Switzerland, I was a permanent employee of the Swiss umbrella company on a fixed term contract. In Belgium, I was a permanent employee of a UK company on a fixed term contract.

what new rules exactly are you referring to by the way?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have been told by family that temp workers employed by UK companies now have same rights in respect of paid holidays as permanent workers, so I just wish to know if I was entitled to paid holidays as I was employed by a UK company, albeit I was based in the EU

Not sure what law you are referring to as the law on statutory holidays has been the same for years. They may be referring to recent changes for agency workers but I don't think that applies to you as you are not working through an agency.

Under law, only workers are entitled to paid holidays. This means that the self employed do not have any statutory holiday rights. Therefore, your employment status will determine your rights.

As long as you were a worker or employee working under UK law then you are entitled to the minimum statutory holiday entitlement of 28 days a year for a full time worker (calculated pro-rata for part time workers). It is irrelevant if you are permanent or temporary.

Please take a second to leave a positive rating as that is a very important part of our process. Your question will not close and I can continue providing further advice if necessary. Thank you