29905560

I was given a criminal record approximatly 20 years ago for

Customer Question

I was given a criminal record approximatly 20 years ago for possession of 1 ectasy tablet. I was given a £100 fine. How long will the criminal record last and will it effact my holiday visa application to Australia?
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to be able to assist with your question today. A criminal record can last for life because the details of the offence and conviction will be entered on the Police National Database and be held there indefinitely. However, the Australian authorities will not have access to this information so they will rely on your honesty and the statements you have made during the application process.

You will be asked if you have ever been convicted of a crime or offence and if you answer yes then they are likely to ask you for further information to decide whether you meet the good character requirements for travel into the country. However, I must say that if you only received a fine 20 years ago and have since been of good character, it is unlikely that this will be seen as a serious enough offence to refuse you travel into the country.

Please take a second to leave a positive rating as that is a very important part of our process. Your question will not close and I can continue providing further advice if necessary. Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi ben thanks for reply is it a myth that records are wiped after a certain period depending on the crime

Not quite - there are guidelines that state this should happen but it is just guidelines and not all police forces follow them. You can contact your local police and ask them what records they hold on you - you can then find out if this is still on your record