How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question

Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10424
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Hi i need some advise regarding adverse possession, we been

Customer Question

Hi i need some advise regarding adverse possession, we been living in a property for 11 years but been maintaining the property for 12 years we used to live next door to the property it was in a very sorry state and kids used to play in it, i hired a private detective to try and locate the owner but didnt have any luck has he moved to another counrty, yesturday out of the blue and elderly man knocked saying he the owner i wasnt in at the time, he left he contact details asking for me to call him, he only in the contry on holiday before i call him i need to find out where i stand and have i any rights has i have spent many thosands on repairing the propety and making it look nice.

Many Thanks paul
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 4 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry.

So that I can answer you fully, do you know if the Property is registered at the Land Registry or not?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Yea its registered to the owner the gentleman the knocked on the door yesterday is the deed owner, When he left the property that many years ago he left it in a sorry state, windows missing no plumbing works and electrics the house was fall with asbestos and i had to pay a company to come and remove it has kids had been braking it up, i have spent around £50.000 refurbishing the property and we get bailiffes knocking and letters for him has he owes a sum of around £35.000 to the council and other companys.


Regards Paul

Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 4 years ago.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

As the Property is registered at the Land Registry, the magic number of years you need to have possessed the Property is 10.

In order to be successful, and obtain possessory title, you will need to show that you have possessed the property for 10 years continously without dispute or hindrance from the true owner. The fact that he may have turned up now won't affect any application you make as you have already "earned your 10 years" by the sounds of it.

The Land Registry will also require evidence of your possession- eg utilty bills for the 10 year period.

As the property is registered, the Land Registry have a set procedure as regards XXXXX XXXXX true owner- they will write to him at the address they have for him or the address he has provided them with (he is not likely to have informed them of any other address I woudn't have thought). If the Land Registry do not get any response from the paper owner, then your application then proceeds and they look at the circumstances of your case to see if possessory title should be granted. Even if the Land Registry do end contacting the paper owner, he would have to show that you have NOT possessed the property for 10 years, or he gave you permission to occupy, for your application not to be successful.

I therefore suggest that you contact a local Solicitor on Monday to get the ball rolling!

I hope this answers your question, and if so, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.

Kind Regards


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions