12826847

i have a commercial property which is rented out to a tenant

Customer Question

i have a commercial property which is rented out to a tenant as a polish conveniece store.6 months ago a new tenant moved in whilst i was abroad.e-on have taken the meter out leaving the shop and the residents of the flat upstairs without power.this has been ongoing for over 4weeks now and e-on say the previous tenants owe over £4000,which theysay the tenant that moved in,in october has to pay.they want a total of£6000 to include refitting of the meter.what are my rights as the owner and landlord of the property,as the flats above the shop are a totally different entity
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a specific question?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

firstly i own a commercial property that was rented out on a yearly rental agreement.there is a flat with a family upstairs which is a totally different entity.i live abroad a good part of the year and my rents are collected by a family member.whilst i was abroad in october the shop changed hands and was taken over by another tenant without my knowledge.the new tenant tried to put his name on the utility bill but e-on would nt accept it as monies were outstanding.e-on removed the meter after the new tenant had been in my prpoerty for 5 months saying it had been tampered with and monies were outstanding.IN A CONVERSATION WITH E-ON THEY SAID THAT IF I SENT THEM THE TENANCY AGREEMENT OF THE NEW TENANT,A COPY OF MY PASSPORT AND LAND REGISTRY DETAILS TO PROVE I WAS THE OWNER,THE METER WOULD BE RE-INSTALLED.THAT WAS OVER 4 WEEKS AGO,LEAVING THE SHOP AND THE FLAT WITHOUT POWER FOR THAT LENGTH OF TIME.E-ON SAYS THEY WILL NOT RE CONNECT THE METER TILL ALL ARREARS ARE PAID,AS THEY SAY THE PREVIOUS TENANT SET UP A LIMITED COMPANY ON THE BUISNESS AND SAID THEY PASSED IT ONTO THE NEW TENANT,WHICH HE DENIES,SAYING HE IS A SOLE TRADER.E-ON ARE SAYING THAT THE PREVIOUS TENANT STILL HAS A LIMITED COMPANY SET UP ON THE SHOP,SO THE NEW TENANT IS RESONSIBLE FOR THE ARREARS.WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS AS THE FAMILY ABOVE THE SHOP HAVE NO POWER

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
So do you have a specific question?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

can e-on leave my tenants in the flat above the shop without power when this matter does not concern them.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Is there only one meter for both properties?

How do tenants of flat pay for electricity?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

there is one main meter for the shop,and a secondarysecure landlords meter for the flat above.i read the meter for the flat,give them the bill,they then tranfer the money to my account and then i make a cheque out and give it to the tenant of the shop,who was supposed to pay the full bill,but hasnt.all receipts showing these transactions are easily printed off.