Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Re car insurance. i have been with cis for many years and have

Customer Question

Re car insurance. i have been with cis for many years and have just found out that i have been paying more than i should have. i have questioned this and they have reduced it from 433.32 to 328.30 per annum. am i entitled to request reinbursment of being overcharged.
thank you for your advice on this matter.

sheila piper
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.
Have they actually admitted overcharging you please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi josh,

what info would you like

Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.
I hope you can rad the above. I just asked whether they have they actually admitted overcharging you please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is also no change to my previous details. other than they have now added mileage. i have had the car from new when first registered

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the first person i spoke to did say it was high and couldnt understand why. he then passed me to another man as wanted to complain.. he reduced the amount. i did say i would like to request a refund to being overcharged.

Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. Unfortunately an insurance contract together with any premium payed is a private bagain like buying almost anything else. The insured is free to accept or decline an insurance quote. There is no inherrent amount which an insurer can propose which would be deemed illegal as such save that outrageous amounts such as those that have an extra zero on the end could potentially be deemed to be a mistake.

Unless you can show you are being discrimnated against in respect of the premium quoted then there is no amount as such which is an unlawful subject as above and therefore unfair.

The insurance marketplace is a competitive one and a proposer can look elsewhere for other quotes if the quote they receive is too high or just for curiousity sake (one can Go Compare as they say). There is certainly a known tendancy for insurers to take advantage of existing customers in quoting higher premiums in the hope they wil just automatically renew but this is not unlawful as above.

Accordingly I do think you will be successful if you attempt to reclaim past premiums you consider to be too high though you may persude the insurer to refund a proportion of those premiums to maintain you as a customer. If they refuse you could attempt a claim to the Financial Ombudsman but I cannot see any basis on which your complaint could be upheld unless you can show discrimination.

If there was found to be wide spread overcahrging taking advantage of vunerable people Trading Standards can prosecute under unfair trading laws. You could ask them to look at this but again I cannot see that the will do so.

I am very sorry this iseems rather negative. I do not suggest you do not try as there is no risk associated with complaining to the ombudsman but you should prepare youself for an adverse decision.

Does the above answer all your questions or is there anything I can clarify or help with any further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i do feel it is a waste of time and 33 pound when you you could have said straight away without asking for further information. oh well you live and learn of cons throughout your life. considering i am disabled and have no income. i know your advice is prob correct but i am disatisfied with the process. and its not guaranteed as previosly suggested.