How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Joshua Your Own Question

Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 25358
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

divorce-conveyancing house sold and contracts exchanged

Customer Question


house sold and contracts exchanged .. wife agreed 50/50 split of procedes.. after exchange of contracts she called conveyancer and told him to hold 30k of each share till other assets sorted out ..can i stop this and get all my money?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

Do you have a consent order in place regarding division of funds please or has the matter been proceeding along amicable lines until now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No orders .. was amicable till now

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no consent order .. was amicable

Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. Unfortunately unless there is a consent order or other interim court order in place dealing with the sale of the property then it is quite possible for either of you to dispute the allocation of payments of the net proceeds of sale. it is equally posible for you to intruct the solicitor not to pay monies out to her. The solicitor will be very unlikely to pay any money out to either of you were he receives differing instructions from you both until you both can agree or alternatively obtain a court order. He will pay interest in the meantime at his client account rate.

You and your wife will either need to attempt to come to an agreement as to division of assets between you and jointly instruct the solicitor accordingly or if you cannot agree you will need to apply to the court for ancillary relief proceedings to resolve the division of assets.

If you are concerned that your wife may reneg on any agreement later consider retaining a solicitor to draw up a consent order for whatever you agree and have it sealed by a court. Providing the process is conducted properly and there is full disclosure by both parties the order is binding and neither of you will have a claim against the other in the furture

Does the above answer all your questions or is there anything I can clarify or help with any further?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice