Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

I run an accountancy firm. A client gave out our bank details

Customer Question

I run an accountancy firm. A client gave out our bank details to a one f their clients by mistake. Client paid funds to us. Rather than pay their client back our clients wants us to transfer half the money to buy a product. I am worried whilst I have a letter from my clients saying we are only transacting the money that I run risk from their client if something goes wrong to pay the, back.
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
If you are aware that the funds were paid in error then you cannot use them and should return them. You could be liable for the funds. It could even constitute theft. Interestingly I once had a similar circumstance and told the client I could only follow his instructions if I got a legal opinion that I could do so and of course he could not get that so the issue died.

Come back to me with follow up questions . I am in and out of meetings today but will respond as soon as I can.