How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Stuart J Your Own Question

Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22564
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I have just attended court for property issues & no way of

Customer Question

I have just attended court for property issues & no way of affording a solicitor or barrister, when at court I asked if I could get some help, there was none available I reluctantly went into the hearing room, the judge did his best to explain what thing meant, but I just couldnt take it all in as Im not legally astute. However explained to the judge that I really couldnt go on & felt I needed to have some kind of legal representation this was refused as he wanted to press on with the case, I then asked to be pardoned from the hearing this was granted, how do I now appeal against this please as I feel this was not right & unjust
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Are you saying you would represent yourself?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no not at all sir, Im not legally trained or minded

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
If you don't want to represent yrself and cant afford solicitor, what did you want?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

is there any way I could get legal help to appeal & to a new hearing as I have explained I have no monies to afford a solicitor or indeed a barrister is there any charaties you could put me on to that could assist me please I am in need of serious help I fear I could end up in jail, please any help at all

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
What is the property issue? why do you fear jail?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The issue was on how the property was to be divided.

I owned a house with my ex partner, she lived in the property prior to me, with her ex husband. When I took over the mortgage with her she had been through a divorce and needed to pay him his share, I agreed to this being part of the mortgage. However I did not realise that she had me sign a form that stated I agreed to pay her legal aid fees as well, and the Land Registry have put a restriction on the land. During our court hearing today, it seems that I am only entitled to 21% of the settlement, but the court went onto deduct, my share of the outstanding mortgage, half of the LSC charges, and then her barrister costs,,,,,, so on and so on untill I have ended up in debt. This cannot be right, she has walked away after I have paid the mortgage for all this time, with the house souly belonging to her, and with me paying her debts.

I am out of work and cannot afford to pay such high costs, without paying I fear that I will go to jail for debt.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. Let me put your mind at rest. Debtors prisons were abolished at
the end of the -century although I understand that the legislation was not
actually repealed until about 60 years ago. The only time you will ever go to
prison is for a debt which is owed to the government. So don't worry about

There is no legal aid available for this kind of matter and you are faced
with either dealing with it yourself or paying for solicitors.

Without knowing full details of the case from the very beginning, it is
very difficult to advise why you ended up with all these various costs against


Would it worry you if you went bankrupt? Do you have savings or a house?

Can I help further?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I do not have savings or a house, so what happens if I declaire myself bankrupt ? & how do I go about it.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

If you cannot afford to pay these debts, then the first thing you should do
is see a debt counsellor or an insolvency practitioner. To make yourself
bankrupt you will have to find about £400-£700 so there is no point in doing it
yourself, you may as well let one of your creditors do it for you. Let them
have the expense. The insolvency practitioner will advise you.

If you do go
bankrupt, most of your debts are wiped out apart from certain maintenance arrears
and student loans.

It will affect
your credit rating and you will not be able to get credit over £250 without
advising whoever you are borrowing from that you have gone bankrupt.

After one year,
you are discharged but it stays on your record for some years. Basically, it
does give you a fresh start though.

If you Google "can
I go bankrupt" you will get plenty of reading. Here is one that I found
and here is another one to keep you occupied

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today and over any weekends because I will be online
and off-line.

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not
what you wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise for

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It
doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask me for further info before rating me negatively otherwise I don't
get paid at all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open for us to continue this exchange

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice