What I am saying is (and have just checked all facts):
I transferred from International to UK in May 2011 and continued to pay subscription. I have no record of not paying a fee, refund or problem. I have tried to look back over statements but having problems identifying any gaps in any statement. All I have now is:
An invoice dated 19/3/2013 - for £280.45. They say:
26/01/2011 - 25/04/2011 £485.39 paid
26/4/2011 - 25/07/2011 £485.39 paid (this came out in May)
04/04/2011 - 25/07/2011 - less £285.45 leaving 280.45 to pay. The dates don't add up.
I changed to Bupa UK in June - paying £74.70 on the 7th June and then £82.85 a month - as part of £820.35 for the entire year.
I emailed Bupa on the 27th May to confirm my new UK account will be actioned on the 4th June and to reimburse any costs taken on the 5th May for the full quarter of the International cover.
I received an email on the 27th May 2011 to say they will action this.
I received another email on the 8th June 2011 to say they'd had some system error problem but would pay me back the difference in 5 working days. I received this - £280.45
I did not receive any other money.