29905560

If my employer suspects unethical behaviour, can they make

Customer Question

If my employer suspects unethical behaviour, can they make me show them my bank statements?
Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to be able to assist with your question today. Please explain your situation in a bit more detail
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Ben,

In my position as a purchasing professional I have been summoned to a disciplinary meeting after an allegation of cash bribes and hospitality has been given to me. I am pretty sure my employer is going to ask me to provide my bank statements

How long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have worked there for 12 years.

One thing is for certain - the employer cannot force you to disclose your bank statements. If there are allegations about misconduct against you which has prompted an investigation, the employer would be expected to gather any evidence to determined you have a case to answer and if they need to commence formal disciplinary proceedings against you. As part of that investigation they can ask you to produce your bank statements. You are entirely within your rights to refuse. However, if you do so the employer will have to make a decision based on the evidence available to them. As such that may go against you, especially if the statements will prove your innocence. On the other hand,if the statements will show that you were guilty then you can refuse to give them as doing so is unlikely to change much. 

In any event due to your length of service you are protected against unfair dismissal and that means that if the employer's considering going down that route they need to follow a fair procedure and show there was a fair reason for dismissal. The procedure would involve conducting a reasonable investigation and forming a genuine view that you were guilty before making a decision.

Please take a second to leave a positive rating as that is a very important part of our process. Your question will not close and I can continue providing further advice if necessary. Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Ben,

If dismissal is granted by my employer and I suspect it will happen, is it likely the police will be involved?

Not necessarily, it really depends on the employer. Unethical actions do not equal illegal actions so it depends on wether this is seen as theft, bribery, fraud, etc. even if the employer does report this to the police it does not mean the polie will necessarily be interested in it