12826847

My next door neighbour has building contractors banging a wall

Customer Question

My next door neighbour has building contractors banging a wall down attached to my house can they do this on a bank holiday?
How bad is the noise?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Did not saw I was unhappy!!! I was typing and answer which vanished!!!!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did answer but the answer I was writing disappeared! We have an adjoining wall as we are linked detracted houses and the neighbour is converting his garage into another room. No problem. His first contractor tried to put their second front door right up to our wall which I explained was illegal. Also he knocked through onto my wall for support to their ceiling /roofing requirements. No problem but did not finish or make good. Problem. The neighbour sacked this first guy although the builder said the neighbour had run out of money. The neighbour has had several contractor to view the job over the past few months and then this morning without notice a new contractor turns up banging the wall down! The noise is very loud as their garage space is connected to my lounge. The noise woke me up as well as my children and husband. Initially I asked them to remove their work utensils from my property and asked them if they were aware it was Easter and a bank holiday to which they said yes. Noise continued, I asked them if they had heard of the considerate construction scheme that they should not be doing building work on Sundays and bank holidays to which one guy shout at me so what? I informed them politely that I was not happy and would they be finishing soon? I was told to mind my own business. The neighbour has been known to be aggressive and a bully and I have had to call the police on several occasions. I am a head teacher and am fully aware of being polite and handling difficult situations carefully and sensitively and never dealt with this man directly since he attempted to push his way into my house with a baseball bat. I informed my husband and he went out to speak to them and the guy who shouted at me ignored him but the other guys said they would try to finish quickly. They are still banging and this has disturbed my peace. If these guys are working on a bank holiday I would like to know if they are allowed to do this ? Surely we are all entitled to peace in our own homes on a religious bank holiday? Further I am concerned on how legal the building contractors are and what my recourse is now? Thank you, Ruth
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have sent an email and still waiting for a reply
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

I have been asked to look at this.

Bearing in mind it is indeed Bank Holiday, what legal solution are you looking for today?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You have not given an answer!
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

That's because I needed more information.