How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I bought a commercial site with another person we paid half

Customer Question

I bought a commercial site with another person we paid half each and now the other person has turned funny he wont let me use the site we have to pay business rates so I want to use half the site to let out to store vintage buses can I do that
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a specific question about this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what information do you require

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Firstly, I need the full background.

Then I need to know what you would like to know about this.

What are you looking to happen or what you want to happen?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The site is empty at momentum and is owned half and half by myself and the other person i have asked to buy his share but every offer I make he says is not enough, he won't speak to me I had to find a mediator to pass emails between us which he takes time to answer, we now have to pay business rates on property so I want to use my half as I am paying money out, so i want to know if I can legally use my half , ideally I would like to buy him out but he won't let me

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Why don't you simply use it? You have as much right to use it as he does.

How is he stopping you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

by threats of legal litigation, and by blocking the entrance

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Sorry to be thick, so why don't you simply unblock the entrance and use it?

Civil litigation for what? Has this come from solicitors? I need minute details please, not snippets. Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i will unblock the entrance, but as joint owner dosent he have a right to stop me using the site,my belief is he wants the site left empty because he wants it deralict and is trying to push me out so he can get planing for houses on the site, the litigation has not come from solicitors only threats from him,

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

The property is jointly owned and you have as much right to use the
property as he does. If you use it exclusively, he is entitled to 50% of the
rent it would fetch on the open market.

If he wants to exclude you, he is faced with applying to court for an
injunction but is unlikely to get it on these facts.

I would get a solicitor to write to him telling him what I have told you
above and telling them that if he feels differently, he should seek legal

Can I help further?

I am on and offline all day so please bear with me.

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was
not what you wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise
for free.

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It
doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask