Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Website Copyright.

Customer Question

Hi, some time ago I built a web site for a friend's business.It has a shopping facility where people can buy products. Unofficially, he paid me £500 to do this. However, as the author I believe I own the copyright. In addition, my name appears at the bottom of the site in the copyright notice. It says, "Copyright©2013ChristianKoisser. All rights reserved." As I have now fallen out with my friend I want to take the site down. Can I do this? (The site has been running for around 3 years now.)

Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

Was it anticipated that he would pay more than £500 for the site?

AJ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No. £500 was agreed and was paid but I just dont want to administer this site anymore. I believe with copyright, that when anything is fixed in a tangible form of expression, it becomes the property of the author for his lifetime plus 50 years. Bearing this in mind (and the fact that the copyright is mine,) I should be able to take the site down. Correct?

Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

While what have said is correct you do remain the owner of the site the fact that he paid you to do it means it is a "commissioned work".

He therefore has non-exclusive licence to use the site indefinitely. In absence of an express term that is the base position of a commissioned work.

What I would agree is that for £500 it cannot be said that there was an ongoing obligation for you to administer it.

I would suggest that you have to give him the site in its current form but you can cease any further administration of the site.

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

No problem.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any follow up points.

AJ