Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

I have asked the letting agent to contact me before any

Customer Question

I have asked the letting agent to contact me before any emergency work is done on my property to allow me to employ my own contractor. although they have agreed, twice they have ignored this request and has just deducted the payment from the rent received.
Have I a right to refuse to foot the bill since I have a fully qualified plumber friend who I would have preferred to employ and would have cost me a lot less.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Why have they ignored this instruction?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

don't know this time - the first time they said that all members of staff probably were not aware but all members of staff would receive the email instructing them that I was to be contacted and that it wouldn't happen again.

Unfortunately this was a face to face conversation in their office and I do not have it in writing.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

On these occasions as you don't have it in writing I would be inclined to leave it, purely because of lack of proof of what you told them to do (or rather not to do).

However put it in writing telling them that if they do it again, you will not be responsible for the bill. Ask them to acknowledge it. THEN you have a concrete case

Can I help further?

I am on and offline all day so please bear with me.

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was
not what you wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise
for free.

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It
doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my
livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask