Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I have rented a room last summer. At the time I assumed the

Customer Question

I have rented a room last summer. At the time I assumed the person who rented it out for me was the owner but it happened to be not true. He was practically subletting the flat. Six , months later he decided to move out but the deposit that we payed was going to get carried towards the landlord, where he is being owned at hes old deposit. It was not the case again. He (the sub letter) owes her around £3500 in rent. When I asked him for the deposit he told me that he can not pay it, because he is financial difficulty. He has left the flat but hes furniture and some white goods are still in the flat. He owes for two of us £1000 in deposit. We have a new agreement with the real owner. He wants to take hes furniture and owes us money. Can I hold the furniture and belongings until he will pay the debt?
Expert:  Joshua replied 4 years ago.

Josh-2010 :

Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

Josh-2010 :

Your claim is as you know against the tenant from who you originally let the property. You cannot distrain his furniture without a court order. Consider issuing proceedings against him in the county court and following judgement obtain a warrant to seize his furniture to sell to offset against the debt.

Josh-2010 :

The simplest way to issue proceedings is by the money claim online service.

Josh-2010 :

Does the above answer all your questions or is there anything I can clarify or help with any further?