13262538

how do i change the name on the deeds to my current property

Customer Question

how do i change the name on the deeds to my current property - the property is jointly owned on the title deeds but i need to change it to just my name - is it possible to do this without informing my husband. There is no mortgage to be paid off as the house was bought outright approx 10 years ago with money left to me by my late father. I have sent off for copies of the title deeds etc and am waiting the results so i know when the house was actually bought and who much we paid as i cannot remember the actual figure. At the time I put my husbands name on the deeds so it would be in joint name but more recently this may not have been the wisest choice as our marriage is falling appart and i need to know where i stand legally with regards XXXXX XXXXX just my name on the deeds etc.
Thank you for your question, I will do my best to assist you.
Sadly I am afraid that the simple fact is that you cannot change the ownership of the property without the knowledge of your husband - indeed you cannot do it without either his agreement or an order from a court.
However you may also wish to be aware that the fact that the house was purchased with money that you inherited make sit likely that you will be awarded a larger share of the equity by the Court within the financial side of Divorce Proceedings.
I hope that this is of assistance - but if you need further help or clarification please do not hesitate to ask.
Claire