Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

Morning! Just received a parking notice charge from Parking

Customer Question

Morning!
Just received a parking notice charge from Parking Eye.
I was parked at a service station for 2 hrs 44 mins and apparently the maximum free stay is 2 hrs. I've just read on numerous forums that this is not enforceable and I should just ignore any correspondence and not pay.
Your advice would be much appreciated.
Adrian Lodge
Expert:  Max Lowry replied 4 years ago.

Max Lowry :

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I will help you with your question.

Max Lowry :

Are the forums saying that it's not enforceable because they cannot identify the driver?

JACUSTOMER-pmqlx7ym- :

No - just say they are not enforceable at all.

Max Lowry :

This is often the reason they give for them not being enforceable. Basically, though, so long as the landowner has given consent to Parking Eye to operate on its land, the charges will be enforceable. I personally got one of these some time back, and researched the law very carefully, and was disappointed that there is now no way out of this.

Max Lowry :

This is all since a change of the law by the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, which allows ticket companies to just go after the owner of the car now, so it's no longer possible to rely on the old ways of avoiding these which was to deny being the driver. The law was changed to avoid this defence.

JACUSTOMER-pmqlx7ym- :

OK - many thanks

Max Lowry :

Thanks you. Please do remember to rate the answer as highly as you can.