How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 31300
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

UK-Expert only. My son is living in a student house in

Customer Question

UK-Expert only. My son is living in a student house in Loughborough. Initially it was to be shared with three others but one student dropped out. Consequently, one of the other students has his girlfriend there all the time (using the spare room as their overflow for clothes etc). My son is a part-time student and the two other legitimate students are full time. The girlfriend, who lives there too, pays toward utilities. However, the council tax bill has arrived and it would appear to be the sole responsibility of my son. The girlfriend of his housemate alleges that she pays council tax at her mother’s home so isn’t liable. The landlord does not know that she lives there. Advice please.

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Not sure what other information you require. The issue for me is that the girlfriend of the other housemate lives in the house 24/7 but maintains she is not liable to pay a share of the council tax as she's not there officially (ie has no contract with the landlord). However she does acknowledge that, because she's there 24/7, she contributes to the other utilities. The council tax bill is substantial and I don't it feel it's fair that my son (ie me) should subsidise her.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Yes, so how can I help with this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Extremely unsatisfied with this response so please arrange a refund of my funds.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Opting out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Please confirm my fee has been refunded. Thank you.