Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

After an operation for cancer in 2000 I contracted MRSA. The

Customer Question

After an operation for cancer in 2000 I contracted MRSA. The MRSA has been with me since that operation. I have had several operations to try and combat my passing urine on more than a regular basis every day no medical solution has been found.I am now told that my bladder lining is totally infected with MRSA and this is causing me to go to the toilet to pass urine on more than a normal person.ant to know if I can claim for the MRSA I have contracted in hospital.. Prior to my going into hospital I never suffered from MRSA

It seems I have no where to go and and want to know if I can claim for the MRSA contracted in hospital.
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Josh-2010 :

Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

Josh-2010 :

Have you previously issued a claim in respect of the MRSA infection please? If not may I ask if there is a specific reason for this?

JACUSTOMER-98n32aby- :

No I have not issued a claim in respect of MRSA, there is no specific reason for me not doin this.

Josh-2010 :

thank you. Finally, apart from your MRSA infection that was contracted in 2000, have you suffered any other complications medically which she would put down to negligence on the part of the hospital? If so, do you recall when this was

JACUSTOMER-98n32aby- :

As it has only recently been recently that they have put my excessive urinating down to MRSA infevtion all of my bladder

Josh-2010 :

thank you. The starting point is that any claim for medical negligence must be made within three years of the date of the infection. On the face of it, you are therefore out of time. However, the court's discretion to extend this deadline where it is convinced that it is fair, reasonable and equitable to do so.

JACUSTOMER-98n32aby- :

JACUSTOMER-98n32aby- :

I have over the years had several operations to stem the flow of urine to no avail

Josh-2010 :

based on what you say, you may be able to demonstrate that it was not possible until recently to discover or show that any damage had been caused by the infection and on this basis extend the limitation period

JACUSTOMER-98n32aby- :

MRSA was not mentioned during these operations I have had two operations for exploratory

JACUSTOMER-98n32aby- :

surgery, I have had two operation on my prostrate, I have had two operations to enlarge my bladder

Josh-2010 :

such an application would turn on medical evidence and would require specialist representation. Fortunately, there are very many firms that are likely to offer to look at this matter for you on a no win no fee basis. It does not follow that they will necessarily agree to take on the case as this will be based upon an assessment of the likely success or not of such an application but you should be able to have the circumstances reviewed and seek an opinion without cost and if the firm believes you have the basis of a claim which is not time-barred you should be able to obtain representation on a no win no fee basis

JACUSTOMER-98n32aby- :

all have failed and no improvement has been made.

Josh-2010 :

would you like some contact details for firms that make it willing to act for you in this respect?

JACUSTOMER-98n32aby- :

Yes please

Josh-2010 :

Certainly - what is your nearest large town?

JACUSTOMER-98n32aby- :

I live in Nottingham

Josh-2010 :

Thanks. Just a moment...

Josh-2010 :

You could contact the following local firms:

Josh-2010 :

Barratts Solicitors
0115 931 51 71

Josh-2010 :

Thompsons Solicitors
0800 0 224 224

Josh-2010 :

Nelsons Solicitors
0800 024 1976

Josh-2010 :

they are all local to Nottingham and may be able to attend you at home if you cannot attend their offices. you may wish to have your medical records available as this may assist them in setting your potential claim. If you do not have them, you can ask for a copy from the hospital that has treated you or through your GP.

Josh-2010 :

Does the above answer all your questions or is there anything I can clarify or help you with any further?