12826847

i am being "court ordered" to pay for my legal expenses as

Customer Question

i am being "court ordered" to pay for my legal expenses as i have £30k equity in my home. At the time of my court appearancesit was never explained that if found guilty i would have to pay ALL my legal expenses. At the time i paid £3k approx for legal aid.That was nearly 2 years ago. Then in september 2012 i was ordered to pay another £9k (which after a month was changed to £8.5k after i verbally contested the amount)
At the time i questioned the amount with my solicitors ( Jason Lush @ Foxes Solicitors ). He was supprised as he hadn`t come across this before but then said it was new to him as the Law had only changed recently. He also informed me that the TOTAL
cost for him and Barristers he charged for me and my son Danny was £15000 approx which ment that my cost would have been £7.5k.
Therefore, as i have already paid £3000 plus a further £300 paid in Jan & Feb of this year, this should only leave £4k approx to pay.
What worries me, that at my age (60) i could lose my home. It also worries me that this is a wrong ammount and if i pay it that i would have trouble getting it back as it already has come down from the original figure they wanted.
Please can you advise how i can find out how the Legal Services came to the costings that they have.

your (in waiting)

Colin
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Why do you think the amount is wrong?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Because the total cost was not split between myself and my son. My costs were only £7-8k in total so why are Rossendales after £12k ? They are now taking me to court. I have been told to pay £9k in 28 days or face court in May

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Can we have the full background to the court case please?

What was the legal aid for?

What is your son got to do with it?

What does the solicitors initial client care letter and terms of business
letters say about costs?

Do you mean that the legal services commission are wanting to apply the
statutory charge?

I do need all the background detail please.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. i will look in to answering your questions, hopefully in the next 24hrs as i`m short of time at present.

I will get back to you as this is a genuine enquiery.

many thanks

Colin McAteer

p.s. i am impressed with your service

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

No problem.

You will get the opportunity to rate my service formally once I have answered you