Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I have recently purchased lockup garages which I am to rent

Customer Question

I have recently purchased lockup garages which I am to rent out. I prose to take a deposit(approximatley £50 ) at the comencement of the letting .Do I need to put this money into one of the Deposit Schemes as used with resedential property Assured Shorthold Tenancies. Regards XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Joshua replied 4 years ago.

Josh-2010 :

Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

Josh-2010 :

do you propose to ask the person renting the garage to sign a written agreement please?

JACUSTOMER-agz5uikm- :

Yes. A Licence Agreement

JACUSTOMER-agz5uikm- :

Yes. A Licence Agreement.

Josh-2010 :

Thanks. you do not need to place the deposit into a deposit scheme because this is not a type of occupation or tenancy ( that you do not wish to create a tenancy here) that falls under the provisions of the scheme as provided for by the Housing act

Josh-2010 :

it is important that you do not provide exclusive possession and therefore to check that your licence agreement contains a right of entry to inspect and share the use of the space. it is common for licences to provide for a licence for 364 days of the year to avoid exclusive occupation arising. Providing you are using a professionally prepared licence however necessary provisions should already be contained therein

Josh-2010 :

Does the above answer all your questions or is there anything I can clarify or help you with any further?

Josh-2010 :

If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to rate my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me.

Josh-2010 :

has the above answered all your questions or is there anything I can clarify or help you with any further?