Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

I resigned as I decided to go back to Germany. Have I got

Customer Question

I resigned as I decided to go back to Germany.
Have I got any entitlement for unemplyment benefits paid from the UK?
I learned that I won't get anything from the German as I have not worked there for the last 24 months.

Can you please advise?

Many thanks.
Kind regards,
Rebekka
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 4 years ago.

Dear Rebekka.

No, I am sorry but you will not as you have to be resident in the U.K. at the time to qualify.

Incidentally you would not qualify for benefit if you stayed in the U.K. either as you voluntarily gave up your employment.In these circumstances the Benefits Agency can refuse you benefits for up to 6 months after you resign.

I hope this clarifies the position. If there are further points please reply. I apologise for being the bearer of bad news but you need an honest answer

Best wishes

Yours sincerely