Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I am a leaseholder with a maisonette. I share a house property

Customer Question

I am a leaseholder with a maisonette. I share a house property with the one maisonette above me. Do I have a right to choose how the common parts are decorated? Also, does permission have to be asked if the other maisonette parks a bike in our common part as well as installs a bike rack in our shared hallway?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 4 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry.

To enable me to assist you fully, I really could do with knowing what it says in your Lease about the common parts. Are you able to let me have the wording please?

AL

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My lease states this: No obstruction shall be caused or any articles of any nature left in the common entrance halls passageways and staircases or any other common part of the building.

Hi again,

Apologies for the delay in replying.

On that basis, your neighbour should certainly not be storing anything in the communal hallway.

As regards the decorating, it is really up to you both to agree on what and how the communal areas are decorated, unless a third party owns the Freehold, in which case you would ust need their consent before starting the work.

I hope this answers your question, and if so, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.

Kind Regards

AL

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. Legally, who owns/has ultimate right to say what is done to common parts?

It depends on who owns the Freehold to the common parts. Do you both own a share in the Freehold or is it owned by an independent person?

Kind Regards

AL