How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Stuart J Your Own Question

Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22618
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I have had a dispute with my neighbour for over 7 years now

Customer Question

I have had a dispute with my neighbour for over 7 years now regarding his fence. It has been damaged and left for years. He does not live there but rents it out. Despite several calls and conversations with the owner of the house it is still not repaired. If i repair it can i claim the money back? Shall i inform the council? I have no privacy in my garden and it is not safe as his house is shared by a lot illegal immigrants who do not care for the house.
What can i do? I will be out of pocket at least £500 and it is not my fence, but is unsightly and is damaging the sale of my house.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
How has this caused your damage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

His weeds are coming over to my side of the garden. I can not sell my house in this condition. It looks awful.I just feel helpless and really begrudge paying out to fix his fence.


Will i be able to claim it back from him?


Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

If they are illegal immigrants, they should be reported to the police and
the Border Agency.

Similarly, if you are not safe, that is a matter for the police.

In lots of noise is being made, that is a matter for the environmental
health Department at the local council

It is not your fence, but his fence, he might actually like it looking a complete
and utter mess and therefore you cannot compel him to fix it. The question is
very common.

The best thing you could hope for is that he allows you to remove the fence
and replace it with one at your own cost. In actual fact, the fact that you
have no claim against him in respect of his own fence, it would be cheaper to
replace the fence yourself rather than go to court.

If he will not let you replace the fence, then you are faced with putting
the fence up on your side, alongside his fence. You are at liberty to cut any
weeds that grow through

I appreciate that this is not the answer you wanted but there is no point
in me misleading you

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today because I am online and off-line. Please don't
forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you want
to hear). If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and
I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive
rating. It doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is
my livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice