Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I am a franchisee and have been for 7yrs. My agreement has

Customer Question

I am a franchisee and have been for 7yrs. My agreement has expired but the franchisor has allowed me to continue to trade until now. They have written to say that in 3 weeks my contract will be terminated. They will not let me sell to another franchisee (I have one who will buy), or buy the business from me, but rather they say they will assimilate my customers into the main business. I hold no stock and do not directly invoice my customers, take payment or manage day to day customer support, all of these functions are handled by the franchisor. Am I therefore a sales agent and protected by The Commercial Agents (Council Directive) Regulations 1993. What rights do I have to a longer notice period and compensation.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Nicola,

I'm happy to wait a little longer, but not too long.

Mark

Hello Mark,

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Hello Mark,

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you.

This may be because your question has been reported as underpriced. Sometimes an Expert feels that the offered amount for the question is not equal to the amount of work required. Keep in mind that this is one Expert's opinion and does not mean that other Experts may not answer the question at the current offer amount.

There is no obligation to raise your offer amount, however, should you decide to raise it, you can go to your question page and click 'edit' to change the amount or you can let us know what price to set and we can change it for you.

Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you prefer for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

Are they allowed to terminate the Franchise Agreement?

Under the Commercial Agents Regulations you would be able to claim compensation and indemnity under regulation 17. This is a right to indemnity and compensation on termination.

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ