Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

My daughter is a working nanny with excellent references and

Customer Question

My daughter is a working nanny with excellent references and has worked for the last two families whilst also bringing up her own two small children. She has just approached a nanny agency for a new job to be told that as she has children they cannot represent her as available for work. This is in spite of the fact that they have represented her before. She has brilliant references and a great reputation but they are refusing to represent her. Can they do this on the simple grounds that she is married with two children of her own.
Expert:  Jenny replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer,

I would suggest that she writes to them to ask how they comply with the provisions of the Equality Act 2010, which require that a person should not be discriminated against in the recruitment process on the basis of marital status. She should also say that she considers this to amount to indirect age discrimination contrary to the Act as it is more likely to effect more mature Nannies than young ones.

If they do not provide a satisfactory explanation then she could consider raising a claim against them under the Act.

All the best to her.

Please remember to give positive feedback. I will be happy to answer your follow on questions.