12826847

I had a summons from Cardiff Council for £114 plus £70 costs

Customer Question

I had a summons from Cardiff Council for £114 plus £70 costs which I received on 15th April
I had already paid the amount the day before, they now say I have to pay the £70 as the summons date was the 9th April. I had no letters warning me of their intent.
The council tax year had not even ended
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can they just summons me without warning of intent?

also the council tax owed is still in a year that has not completed

Can they as they say now in their letter, if I do not pay the £70 before the court dae of 29th April, a liabilty order will be obtained, further action taken and may result in additional charges

I know this isn’t going to be the answer you want to hear, and it’s certainly not what I want to tell you. However, I wish to be completely honest with you, so I feel obligated to not give you false hope.

They can do that. It isn't common for councils to do so but there is no reason they cannot in principle.

The fact that the Council tax is not for a year completed is no issue. Council tax is due in full on the day that the year begins. The Councils will agree to people paying in instalments to fit in with the wage structure of the Uk. If you haven't been paying in instalments though then they will revoke the right to do so and they are free to do that.

I am sorry but if you are in arrears then they can do as they say.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.
related questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can you just clarify, can they just summons me without warning of their intent to do so, ie letters previous?

They don't have to send you a letter warning that they will summons.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok thanks anyway

No problem. Sorry it cannot be more positive.

Please remember to rate my answer.