12826847

How do I get back money that someone borrowed and just hasnt

Customer Question

How do I get back money that someone borrowed and just hasn't paid back, despite my efforts?
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How much have they borrowed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
FOR JOMO1972

I am not sure of the exact amount at the moment but it is in the region of £800. It was initially around £1000 and she made some payments last year and has refused contact since.
Is she working?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, she earns £450 a week before tax.
If she refuses to pay then your only 2 options are either to write the money off as a bad debt or sue.

I imagine that you are unwilling to write the money off. Then you are left with the option of recovering at the Small Claims Court.

You should really send her a letter before action. Sometimes they are effective and sometimes not. They are all simple enough to send and Freddie. You just send a letter saying that this money is due and if she does not pay you will see within 14 days.

If that does not encourage her to pay then you can issue here

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

This is a small claims court sum and so it will be cheap and quick to issue against her and you can claim the costs and interest.

If she is working then she can pay any award and so it would be worth suing her.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.