13262538

I have joint custody of my soon to be 15 year old daughter

Customer Question

I have joint custody of my soon to be 15 year old daughter with my x wife. This evening she has announced that she is planning to move 100 miles away - currently 2 miles away, with my daughter when she has completed her GCSEs in 12 months. No prior consultation and my daughter seems to have agreed to it - "I'll make new friends I'll come and see you every week on the train" etc etc. I do not want this to happen o be considered until she is 18 and capable of making more considered and legally responsible decisions ? What can I do ?

>>I submitted this question 55 minutes ago, when can I expect a response?

Thank you for your question, although I am afraid I do not have good news for you.
I am afraid that once your daughter is 16 it is up to here which parent she lives with and where
Accordingly whilst if the move was contemplated immediately you could apply to the court to try and stop it since it is planned for next year you will not be able to do so
You are of course entitled to offer her the choice of staying with you if she would prefer and if she agrees there will be nothing her mother can do to prevent it
I am sorry it is not the news you were hoping for but there is no point in my not being honest with you
Claire