How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70118
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I provided a room to rent in a shared house that I used to

Customer Question

I provided a room to rent in a shared house that I used to live in as my main residence. It fell outside the AST requirements to protect the deposit. I did not realise I had to write a separate letter to state it was NOT an AST, as I have now discovered.The person left without notice and with a trail of damage. I have issued a county court claim but they state they had an AST and will get x3 the deposit at court. As I failed to issue the required notice in writing, but only told them verbally will the judge consider it an AST? The agreement does not state its an AST and says its only an agreement to rent a room in a shared house.

Just to clarify I did not say in the agreement about it being a non-AST, I just referred to it as an Agreement to rent a room in a shared house.

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Why do you say it wasn't an AST exactly?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had rented rooms in the house when I lived there and continued to do so after I left. In the end I rented out my own bedroom. I had understood that this meant I was offering a room as the owner occupier on the basis I had lived there as my main residence.

There was no great gain on not making it an AST, just carried the same arrangement on.

I would like to know if a judge would say it is an AST because I did not state this in writing, but told her verbally, that it was not an AST and did not lodge the deposit.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
No, but surely when you rented the last room this was no longer a lodger agreement as you were not there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


The Residential Landlords Association states that this would make it an assured tenancy, not an assured shorthold tenancy.

I appreciate that in retrospect it would have been better to change the agreement to an AST, but at the moment I need to know if there is a legal authority for me to state it was an AT, and that a district judge would accept this.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
No, its a periodic tenancy agreement if its anything at all.

I do think its not going to be considered a lodger's agreement but its not an AST unless he has a contract to the effect that it is.

In any event though, even if you have failed to register he is not going to claim three times the sum. The Localism Act gives courts discretion and there is genuine confusion here. The very most he would get is the sum of the deposit.

Then you could claim from him any arrears or damage.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had a look at

and I don't think its a periodic tenancy as they moved in October 2012 and the agreement was for 6 months. They left just before 5 months had gone.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
if it was for six months then he could ask the court to draw an inference and find that its an AST.

But he still isn't going to get three times the sum. That is preserved for prolific repeat offenders.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions