12826847

i have received a letter from a spainish legal service with

Customer Question

i have received a letter from a spainish legal service with a demand for a debt for outstanding membership to a travel club which i know i cancelled.i have not received any other bills from the travel club since i cancelled until now
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

how can I help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what action should i take against this demand

Are you entitled to cancel under the contract?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they have said the debt on the membership is 913.77 euros but if i pay a £175 to cancel my membership the said arrears would go away. what actions should i take

Ok.

So are you entitled to cancel the agreement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

they have said the dept on the membership is 913.77euros but if i pay £175 to cancel the membership the arrears would go away.what should be my next action

Ok. But forget that.
Under the original contract, were you entitled to cancel?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMM1972

when the yearly membership was due i would recieve a bill slip for me to sign and return to aurhorise payment from my credit card but these stopped after i cancelled the membership . the only contact was a phone call when they received the cancellation they did not state icould not cancel the membership

Ok

Whats the name of the original travel club?

Do you ostensibly get access to cheap holidays or go to the same location every year?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMO 1972

it was only access on the net to various cheaper holidays the subscription was an admin charge about 25euros per year. what i need to know is what to reply to this company

the travel emporium and changed to essential travel

Ok.

You would have had a paper contract for that. Did it allow for cancellation?

What happened when you approached the firm and told them you were cancelling.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMO 1972

company name was The Travel Emporium and changed to essential travel.

what should be my next step in replying to LEGAL & ACCOUNTING SERVICE IN MALAGA SPAIN

Would it be possible to give me the information I ask for?

I won't be able to answer your question until you do so.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

they asked why i was cancelling i just said we did not use the membership enough to continue . no objection from them

it was renewed yearly, so if you did not pay membership you could not use the sevice

What you have received is just a debt collection letter which is nothing to worry about of itself. They have no legal standing.

The question is whether you were ever entitled to cancel. As a general rule holiday clubs and timeshare are really hard to escape and a cancellation is not easy to do.

That said, many people do escape in practice by just plain walking away and refusing to pay.

If they are based in Spain then it would be hard to enforce any CCJ against you in the UK. It is possible to get European enforcements but not easy and they are not going to do that for £175.

In terms of how to respond, it depends how much risk you are prepared to take. As a rule the safest path is to ignore them. If you want to respond then its difficult to do so without potentially putting your head in the noose. You could respond making the point that you have cancelled but of course that depends upon whether you were entitled to do so.

Hope this helps. Please remember to rate my service either OK SERVICE or above and then I will give you related information for free.