12826847

son bought a jeep type vehicle about 6 years ago which had

Customer Question

son bought a jeep type vehicle about 6 years ago which had a private number plate on it when he bought a newer car he transfered the plates onto it doing it through DVLA he decided he was going for another car but sold the private plates to someone doing it through the DVLA he knows the person he bought the jeep from but they are demanding the private plates from him are they entitled to the plates
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Did he tell them at the time of sale that the plates weren't included?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it was my son that bought the jeep withe the private plates on it as far as we were aware the plates were included

No, but when your son sold the vehicle did he tell the new owner they wouldn't get the plates?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No he did not as she was another friend

I know this isn’t going to be the answer you want to hear, and it’s certainly not what I want to tell you. However, I wish to be completely honest with you, so I feel obligated to not give you false hope.

This is basically an issue of contract. Certainly private number plates can be transferred. Its a simple matter of filing at the forms and instructing the DVLA.

The issue here is whether or not she was sold the vehicle on the basis that she would retain the plates. The truth is that its an arguable point. If he didn't actually assert that the plates would not be included in the sale then she could argue that she was entitled to think that the vehicle she inspected would be sold as it was at that time. Equally, if this is really important to him, he could defend on the basis that it was implied that the plates would not be transferred because they are personalised to him. The whole point of personalised plates is that they are personalised to one person and not another.

Which way it would go in court is difficult to predict. I suspect it would be down to how personalised the plates were. If they point clearly to him and have real personalisation for her then his position is stronger.

However, its quite unlikely that she will apply for an injunction to hand the plates over. What she could do is sue for the cost of the car on the basis of misrepresentation but its not likely she would get the whole contract price back. The most she would get is damages for the cost of personalised plates. Even if she did get the whole price back he would still be entitled to the return of the car to sell again.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.