12826847

NA-208

Customer Question

On the 24 sept 2011 I was taken into hospital with mental health problems. My house needed work doing and a nephew offered to arrange things. My boiler had broken. he then said my house need major repair and I signed over £35,000 to him and he and my older brother were going to see to things. he then got a friend a serving Police officer to do the building work and another friend to do the electrics that cost me another 13,000. they claimed the work needed kept going up and more money was needed. when I quire this (still in hospital on medication) I just got abuse and told I was insulting asking for receipts, and my nephew then said he was washing his hands of it and handed all me money and control over to my older brother. Just before Christmas while I was still in hospital My older brother demanded I sign a cheque to him for £2.000 saying it was cheaper to pay the builder that way. Again I got abuse from him and his wife for querying this and I signed. on the 31st of jan 2012 I moved to a rehabilitation hospital. And slowly started taking back control of my life (the medication was working) when I asked my nephew and older brother again for receipts etc for money spent I got abuse again and they said the builder needed more money, additional £10,000 again I got abuse and my older brother said that is it tools down and says he told the builders to stop. I asked him later again for receipts etc and he claimed he had immediately gone to my home and left them in a box upstairs at the house. At this time the builders were at the house and had the only key. When I finally got contact off the builders and access to the house I was shocked at how very little worked had been completed or done for the money spent. My Retired half sister and her partner a retired joiner with years in the trade comment where is the work for the money spent, which resulted in her getting abusive phone calls from my older brother and his wife swearing at her over the mobile phone , all of which affected her health badly.
I contacted the met the builder and his partner at my home and they said it needed another £10,000 to finish and that my nephew and brother had agreed for the garden to be landscaped for another £15,000. I told them I was having the garden done and cancelled that.
With my house in a unliveable condition and requirement for the rehabilitation hospital to make arrangements to leave. I told them I was back in charge of my finance and arrangement and builder work and nether my older brother or nephew were involved or had and right to be involved. The builder and his partner both agreed to this and I paid them the £10,000 to finish the work and finish what they had been paid for as a quote, I told him I would no longer accept estimates.

I met met them 2 weeks later back at the house work still not finish or the receipts I asked from the builder provided, he claimed it would take another £10,000 and the work would be done as they had spent all the money he also said on completion the bills , receipts would be provided.

Another week later I returned to the house and nothing had been finished , lots of work half done and paid very roughly paint around the house with a very poor finish. Stairs not finished, kitchen not finished, bathroom not finished, toilet lose and not even bolted to the floor.
He demanded another £3,000 to finish the painting and said my older brother and nephew had instructed him to leave the job. I refused to pay any more money at all and told him I would seek legal advice.
He just laughed and said all requests for money had only been estimate. I put the phone down, I phone the electrician that my nephew had paid in advance to come complete the electric he had done a first fit then never been back, he claimed he would be round, I never saw him. I got contact 2 weeks later when he claimed he had been ill and would complete the work when well. despite now replies from several calls to him I had no answer. Under pressure from the hospital rehab to move out I hired another electrician to try and sought out the mess they had and make my house liveable, costing me several thousand more, and I had to remove a upper floor to gain access to buried wire and cut holes in my plaster ceiling to fit wires as the builder had plastered and floored leaving no indication where and wiring was and the light switches etc fitted did not work. I had paid for the electric meter to be moved outside but the builder had not done the work... and eventually I could move in a half finished home.. Weeks later the first Electrician answered his phone and claimed he had been abroad for 3 weeks to get well. I demanded the payment of my money back for work not done, he said that's a pity and I have never heard from him since..
I phone phoned the police to report that I felt I had been defrauded and that my older brother, nephew, builder and electrician had colluded to defraud me. Police said that's civil manner and.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will wait a little longer

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question. I will try and help you with this.

How ill were you when you were in hospital? Did you know and understand exactly what was involved and how much these projects would cost you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was taken in under a section 2. I did not know what was involved or what the cost would be, my nephew and brother just said concentrate on getting well and we will take care of everything. Initially my heating system had broken down and my nephew told me it was not worth repairing and that extra work needed doing to my house.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Having looked at all of this again its obvious that you need specialist legal help. Unfortunately I do not have sufficient expertise to help you so I have opted out. Another expert will be along to help you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I wonder if this needs a expert in UK fraud?

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Close it, it seems you have no expert on the matter