How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Stuart J Your Own Question

Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22618
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

A friends parents died

Customer Question

A friend's parents died a few years ago and left quite a lot of money for my friend and his little brother and sister. The will says the money is to be held on trust for them until they are 25. My friend is now 21 and looking after the others while at university but wants to start his own business. He has an amazing opportunity to start up a cleaning business but it will cost him £20,000 and he doesnt have enough money. When he asked the trust to advance money to pay for this as well as to put his little 17 year old brother who he's worried about into a motivational course to help him get back into school or get a job (which costs it costs £1500 for a month as its a boarding program), and for around £500 to pay for art tools his 11yr old little sister needs for a special course at school the trustee refused Can Rob do anything? All the money he is asking for is for legitimate reasons and I cant imagine his parents would want a small part of the money who they left to not be given to their kids early to better their lives . Rob is a responsible person and has also asked about the option of maybe holding off giving his brother the money until he sorts out his life but the trustee said he had to follow the will. Rob has looked after his brother and sister and is really a good guy and who just wants the best for everyone. Any advice as to what he can do?

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a specific question?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes can he compel the trustee to advance any of the money?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry, but on these facts, he is completely in the hands of the

The situation is quite simply that all the beneficiaries must be 18 years
of age to bring the trust to an end.

Before that, he is in the hands of the trustees.

I'm sorry, I appreciate that this is not the answer you wanted but there is
no point in me misleading you.

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today because I am online and off-line. Please don't
forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you want to
hear). If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I
get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.
It doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He doesn't want all the money as its several hundred thousand just a small amount to use for above purposes. He actually want to find a way to extend the length of the trust for his brother
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry, I cannot add anything. He is at trustees mercy

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions