Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice

I am building an extension and have a scaffold licence agreement

Customer Question

I am building an extension and have a scaffold licence agreement signed by 2 of my neighbour's. One needs standards put at the end of her garden and the other needs scaffolding to hover over half of her garage.
we did everything by the book, got the deeds agreed, gave notice of work. We are even held to ransom that we have to pay them £100 a week for each week the scaffold is in their property.
We started and the woman came out and started raving, swearing at my workers, calling me racist names and being abusive.
I had to go and report her to the police for the racist abuse.
Then my worker asked her why she is giving us grief and told her im pregnant. She responded by saying, I would love to put a bomb under their house and blow them up.
I reported this to the police as well.
As she is older they are investigating it but could not just go and arrest her.
I am deeply upset and stressed out by this. I have done nothing to her she is just nasty.
What can I do? Do I still need to pay her the £100 a week given she is being so abusive and threatening?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Why have you agreed to pay this sum?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Because I was advised by the surveyor that as I am the person building the extension and I need the scaffolding in their garden I can basically be held to ransom.

He said they can refuse to allow us to put the scaffold up in their gardens and we would then be unable to do the pitched roof.

They asked for £200/week and we negotiated down to half.

This is in the contract but she is still harassing us so I'm not sure its even about money.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

The surveyor is absolutely right. They can hold you to ransom and I would
actually be asking for a lot more money. A hundred pounds a week is cheap,.

The more they charge you (and they can charge what they like) the faster
the scaffolding will get removed.

The threats and the abuse are nothing whatsoever to do with the hundred
pounds per week.

She agreed to let you put the scaffolding there which you have done and you
agreed to pay hundred pounds a week so there is no going back now, by either of
you assuming that this is in writing.

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today because I am online and off-line. Please don't
forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you want to
hear). If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I
get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.
It doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you

Is there anything else I can do about the harassment? Do I just have to take it and let my builders take it whilst the work is going on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.