13262538

I currently pay child support via the CSA for my daughter.

Customer Question

I currently pay child support via the CSA for my daughter. If I am made redundant will I have to pay a portion of my redundancy payment to the CSA?
Expert:  emily4422 replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I will try to help you with this question.

You only have to pay from what is classed as your "earnings".

Statutory redundancy pay is not classed as earnings, whereas contractual redundancy pay is and therefore subject to being used in child support payments. So the answer to your question depends on which sort of redundancy pay you are referring to.

Just so you can work out which kind of redundancy payment you have received, a contractual redundancy payment is something which has been agreed between you and your employer and is a payment which is above and beyond what you are entitled to in law int he form of statutory redundancy pay.

I hope that provides some guidance for you and is helpful. If you have any follow up questions then just write again and I can answer as part of your original question.

In the meantime could you please rate my answer so that I can be credited for my time. Thanks.
In fact it does not matter what kind of redundancy it is.
If any part of the payment is "pay lieu of notice"(pilon) then that part of it is liable as it represents ongoing income.
Otherwise provided your total assets (excluding the house you live in) are less than £65,000 then the CSA will have no interest in it
Claire