What would I do? I would probably (actually, for probably, substitute the
word "might") offer him £100 on a without prejudice basis and even then, I
would do it reluctantly.
However as he is now threatened solicitors, I would wait for his solicitor
to write and then deal with it. If you get that solicitors letter, let me know what
it says and I can tell you how to deal with it. Tell him that you have now
taking legal advice and you look forward to getting a letter from his
I think he has more chance of winning the lottery than getting £5000 and he
was asking me the same question, I would tell him the same.
I think he might get (if he decided to go to court) a few hundred pounds at
the most because these are trees and trees grow.
Ultimately, if you simply refuse to pay him, he is faced with taking you to
court and the costs and risks that entails. I would not be confident of him
getting much at all, particularly in what you have cut is hardly noticeable and
is not visible to a great extent from his property.
Incidentally, he is not allowed to keep the children’s ball, that is theft and if he starts the solicitors letters trail you might want to tell his solicitor that you are going to refer it to the police and you want the return of all the balls that he is taken in the past or the cost of them which you will counterclaim (I imagine that they are very expensive balls!)
Can I help further?
Please bear with me today because I am online and off-line. Please don't
forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you want
to hear). If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and
I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive
rating. It doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,