Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I have a temporary contract which staes that "you are on a

Customer Question

I have a temporary contract which staes that "you are on a temporary contract which is funded by the EPSRC and is expected to end on 3rd August 2013". It also said that it was subject to a satisfactory probation period of 6 months ending 31st march 2013. I have not had a probation meeting since the manager left at the beginning of September.The job was advertised as a permanent position which I applied for & was not successful. They have now given me notice to finish on 26th May, is this correct?
Expert:  Jenny replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer, on what date did the contract start?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1st October 2012

Expert:  Jenny replied 4 years ago.
Hello, unfortunately as this was a temporary contract and you have less than a year's service with them there is no legal obligation for them to take you on in the permanent role, that obligation (and the right to claim unfair dismissal or redundancy ) at the end of the contract only arises after 1 years service in the case of unfair dismissal and 2 years in the case of redundancy.

This means that there is unfortunately little you can do about it.

The exeption to this is if you feel that you have not been taken on due to a discriminatory reason such as your race, sex, age, disability, pregnancy, religion or for raising a health and safety complaint. You have not mentioned this but if you do think this could be the case please let me know and I will advise accordingly.

I realise that this is not the answer you wanted to receive and am sorry about that, it would be unfair for me to give you false hope.

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating.

Many thanks and all the best.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you I did think that was the case.

Expert:  Jenny replied 4 years ago.
No problem all the best for the future.