DrMichaelSalkin
DrMichaelSalkin,
55012488

I have a lovely miniature schnauzer called Roxy. She is

Customer Question

i have a lovely miniature schnauzer called Roxy. She is about 6 years old, but i must admit we have not had her vaccinations done in last couple of years.
If i take her for the vaccination now, does that bring them up to date, i know there were special offers for this a while ago, is this still the case ??
Also, we would like to let her have a litter of puppies, and keep one ourselves, sell any other puppies to cover costs. Is this ok, when are they too old to have puppies ?
jane
Expert:  DrMichaelSalkin replied 4 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Jane, the latest recommendations are to limit our core vaccinations in adults - distemper/hepatitis/parvovirus - to once every three years. This expert even stops vaccinating against those diseases once my dog reaches 8-10 years of age. Vaccinating against leptospirosis, however, should be performed yearly if leptospirosis is endemic where you live. Roxy's vet can advise in that regard. Vaccinating against infectious tracheobronchitis ("kennel cough") should be performed yearly if Roxy associates where dogs congregate. If you vaccinate today, Roxy becomes "up to date". There's no need to revaccinate in a few weeks because her immune system has "memory" and should produce protective antibodies nicely after the one vaccination.

Roxy can be safely bred at 6 years of age. The miniature breeds have a longer breeding life than our large breed dogs. Many large breed dogs are elderly at 6 years of age! Most professional breeders stop breeding their bitches between 6-8 years of age although a few will stop by their 5th year.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

WELL, I AM A BIT CONFUSED BY THIS SERVICE, THE MAIN REASON I JOINED THIS SITE IS FOR THE LEGAL ADVICE, WHICH HAS NOT ADVISED ME CORRECTLY

I MUST ADMIT THAT THE LOCAL VET HERE HAS ALSO GIVEN DIFFERENT ADVICE

SO IT HAS ALL BEEN A BIT POINTLESS

MANY THNKS

I was asked for professional veterinary medical advice according to your posting in the vet category. If you're looking for legal advice instead, I'll ask my moderator to change the category for your question for you.

Please be patient while I do this for you.

Please disregard the info request.