12826847

I set up a company with my partner 6 years ago, we split up

Customer Question

I set up a company with my partner 6 years ago, we split up last year and I know have a feeling he is feeding some of our sales through one of his own companies and also one he set up last year which carries the same name as our business but it is an LLP rather than a Ltd company. How can i prove it and what can I do if I am right? Our relationship is strained enough as it is, trying to work together still with a lot of bad blood between us, but I cannot afford to give up my business as I put all my savings into it and a lot of hard work. I tried to confront him the other day and asked the question why some of his correspondence seemed to have his personal company name on it rather than our company's name, but he has ignored me so far and not explained it to me which makes me think that I am right. What should I do? - Don't think my email address was sent to you, it's [email protected]

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
HiThank you.Are you both directors and equal shareholders of the company?Do you have a shareholders agreement?Kind regardsAJPs I am about to leave my computer for 45 mins but will be back so please do not be concerned if you don't hear from me right away.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, we are both directors and equal shareholder of the company (and I do believe we have a shareholders agreement) but he has his own company and also set up an LLP a few months ago which I wasn't involved in but know about. Thank you for your prompt response and i look forward to hearing from you again at your convenience. Kind regards, Andrea

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Does the shareholders agreement say anything like, each party must act in the best interest of the company to further its business interests?

Does it contain any restrictions on the transfer of shares?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It just shows how stupid I was all those years ago to trust him implicitly (rose tinted glasses and all that) as I don't even seem to have a copy of the agreement at home. Will have a look if there is one in the office later and get back to you. I would hope that the answer to both questions is yes but need to lay my hands on a copy to confirm. I will be in the office around 11.30 and be in touch again. Thank you. Andrea

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

No problem.

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry AJ - this silly old fool can't find a copy anywhere. I take it that if those restrictions are not mentioned in the agreement, I am b....d. Well, there isn't a polite way of putting it. I will try and get a copy off the accountant who set the whole thing up for us - if I can find him as he moved a few years ago...Thank you for your prompt response to my query - I will certainly give you more than 3 stars and thank you - it's not your fault you can't help without me providing the necessary information... Have a nice evening. Kind regards, Andrea

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Don't worry you, it is not the end it, it just means we need to approach the problem in a different way.

If you can find out what it says that would be a great start.

Can you tell me in the mean time how many shares you own?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As far as I remember we only have one share each.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

So you own the company 50/50?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes definitely.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Great if you can get back to me regarding the shareholders agreement I will then be able to respond.

The link will remain open I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You are too kind, you have already spent far too much time on my query. I shall do my best in obtaining a copy - and certainly act my age next time and not let my heart rule my head.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

No problem. I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ