12826847

Do mobile speed cameras have to have signs on the road saying

Customer Question

Do mobile speed cameras have to have signs on the road saying this is a speed check area?Just got caught doing 40mph in a 30 zone where the policeman jumped out from behind the hedge!! There are no speed camera signs.Many thanks
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Do you have other points?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No other points

I am sorry but its bad news.

All that is a complete myth I'm afraid.

There is no obligation to highlight the presence of a speed detection device at all.  They are perfectly free to hide them behind overgrown trees and catch motorists by stealth in law.  Speeding is a crime like any other.  The police are under no obligation to warn people of their crime detection methods.  

The ACPO guidelines do say they should be highlighted but they are just guidelines and half the constabularies ignore them.

What they cannot do in law is obscure the speed limit signs in any way. Then the motorist would have a challenge.

I'm sorry that this probably isn't the answer that you wanted but I'm afraid sometimes we have to disappoint.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Many thanks but yes you are right!!

No problem.

All the best.