Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

Hi, i applied for a British Passport recently and it got turned

Customer Question

Hi, i applied for a British Passport recently and it got turned down. My mums side are all British, and my father is Greek. I was born in Zambia, but we took on my dads nationality. My parents were living in Zambia due to my grandfather (on my mothers side) emmigrating there through the RAF. The British passport office are saying that because i was born in Zambia i am therefore a Zambian. We have a letter from the Zambian Consulate stating that we did in fact take on my fathers nationality. My old passport that we came to the UK on is Greek. I am 40yrs old and have lived in the uk since i was 4. I went to school here, worked here, and my family have lived as British people. My children were all born here and hold British passports. My only option according to the UK passport office is to Naturalize or register, this is lengthy and expensive. I only applied for a British passport so that i could travel to Athens to see my grandma, who is nearly 90 and is not in the best of health, so i was going to travel with my father to see her, before it is too late to say goodbye. I would be very grateful if you could give me any information or advice on what i can do next. Thank you. Amanda Ayvaliklis
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
Hi Amanda, I will assist you with this. It sounds as if the UK passport office may be correct. If your mother was born in the uk but you born in 1973 , At that time you only got automatic citizenship by descent through you father . AS he was not british you did not get automatic citizenship. The law was changed by the Nationality Act 1981 but you need to apply to register. If your mother was not born in the uk but elsewhere then because you were born abroad you would not be entitled to citizenship by descent and would have to apply for naturalisation. Your children would be british because they were born here and one of their parents was British or settled permanently here. So depending upon your precise circumstances you need to register or apply for naturalisation. This will take time to process ( many months ) so you need to get greek passport in the short term