29905560

I work as a nurse and was under immerse pressure on a particular

Customer Question

I work as a nurse and was under immerse pressure on a particular day where i was asked to carry out a procedure, I informed the senior nurse i was not competent to carry out the procedure, she said i'd be ok, i carried out the procedure and put the sample in the wrong pot, luckily I had also halved some in the right pot, i took the wrong pot and put it on the desk wanting to inform the consultant, all of a sudden there was meyham on where the pot had gone, i was very scared and froze on the spot, the consultant said not to worry and halve the one in the right pot into two, i then disposed of the wrong pot that i had put in the and got caught, i have now been suspended for misconduct pending hearing. I am at my wits end, and have worked at the same place for past 20 years. will i get a final warning or be dismissed?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to be able to assist with your question today.

T is impossible to predict at this stage how this will end up. It is for the employer to decide how serious this breach was, if it has breached any specific policies, if any damages have occurred, including to reputation, the potential for a serious incident, etc. These are all factors that will be taken into consideration by them and they will eventually decide which route they want to take. Before any disciplinary is held you will need to be told the exact allegations against you and also the potential outcome, so that is where you will find out what could potentially happen. Even then, if at the disciplinary you manage to successfully defend yourself the penalty can be reduced to just a warning or even nothing.