How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 30929
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

The mother of a child[11-12 years] was granted a non assured

Customer Question

The mother of a child[11-12 years] was granted a non assured tenancy by a Local Authority in early 2012. She was gravely ill & died late 2012. The mother of the deceased,the deceased's child & the deceased's partner[not the father of the child] are living in the property.The Local Authority has obtained a possession order.The family are due to be evicted on 9th May 2013.
What steps,if any, can be taken to postpone the eviction order?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
Why was the eviction order grated and who has the care of the child?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Non Secure tenancy was granted on the 7th May 2012 to KB & her son JB who is now aged 12years[DoBis 10/12/2000]. KB lived at the address with her partner[MS],son[JB] &her own mother KK who was looking after KB because KB was seriously ill with cancer. Sadly KB ,aged 32, died of cancer in November 2012. After the daughter's death KK,the boy's grandmother, [JB] & MS, have remained at the address to date. No rent has been paid after that date,it appears.

The council obtained an order for possession against the grandmother[KK] , £16.93 per day for use and occupation since the 7th

January 2013 until possession is given to the claimant & costs.


The son[grandson] went to High School in September 2012 & it appears that he is stable & settled at school but is vulnerable due to his mothers death.His grandmother [KK] does not speak English.His mother's partner[MS]likewise does not speak english well.


It is important that the sonJB is able to remain at the school & that KK & MS are able to find him accomodation to enable him to continue at the school.


In these circumstances, the grandmother would ask the court to stay the eviction order for 28 days to enable KK & MS to find suitable accomodation to enable JB to continue at the same school.



Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have provided the information required.I need an answer urgently
Thank you

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
What is the immigration status of the parties; why was rent no paid and what efforts have been made to secure alternative accommodation?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice