Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

I am an employer in a small (8 staff) business making a part

Customer Question

I am an employer in a small (8 staff) business making a part time member of staff redundant. Up until March 1st last, the individual worked 3 days per week and had done so for 4 years or so (prior to which she worked full time). I had to put her down to 1 day per week but, after working such for a number of weeks, she chose redundancy instead and is now working her Notice Period of 8 weeks. However, she claims she is entitled to Notice Pay at 3 days per week as opposed to 1 - is she right? If so, can I insist she comes into work for the 3 days per week of her Notice Period?

This is one of a number of tangles I face currently.

Many thanks.
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
When dod you reduce her to 1 day a week and did she agree to this? She is not obliged to agree and if she did not do so then she is entitled to claim 3 days pay. If she agreed as a trial instead of redundancy then she can within 4 weeks opt for redundancy instead.

If you are paying her for 3 days a week then she has to work three days