Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Hi, my two brothers and i have a solicitor on board who has

Customer Question

Hi, my two brothers and i have a solicitor on board who has been fighting our corner for inheritance claims after our father died in 2008 leaving everything to do with our fathers estate to our aunt (my fathers sister). It has been a long drawn out battle but we have come to terms and all parties have signed an agreement in Febuary of this year subject to two properties that will be part of my eldest brothers claim and another property that concerns us all having a valuation.
Now where my other brother and i are concerned a valuation has already been carried out and we have accepted and indeed signed in our agreements the valuation that was given.
Since signing the agreement by all, the same valuer did an evaluation of the two properties that concern our eldest brother and the property that concerns us all at the start of March and our aunt was told the valuation immediately but has asked that they hold fire on releasing the information to everybody concerned.

Now i asked the valuer why to which he replied in a sheepish manner "he did not wish to get involved with family issues and that the valuation he gave was not a million miles away"

This has made me very suspicious that either my aunt or my eldest brother have interfered with the valuers job and that is why we have not had the valuation.

I have now told our solicitor that i am not happy with the situation and that i want someone else to do the valuation.

My question is, is it illegal to withold such information from all concerned and even though my two brothers want the same valuer to go ahead with an up to date valuation am i within my right to insist that someone else does it ?

Regards Richard
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Josh-2010 :

Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

Josh-2010 :

Would I be correct to assume that the property(s) concerned are not to be sold but are to be transferred to one of the beneficiaries and that beneficiary is to pay the others for their shares in the property(s) please?

Josh-2010 :

What if anything does your agreement that you signed say about agreeing a valuation? Usually it says words to the effect of the valuation will be agreed between the parties or failing which set by an arbitrator?

JACUSTOMER-r8whg4v2- :

Hi, you are correct in assuming the properties are not to be sold. We have agreed specific sums individually as our settlements and as part of that sum we are all having properties with cash making up the difference. A valuer has already valued the properties where one of my brothers and i am concerned with no trouble at all. The trouble is the two properties that are forming part of my eldest brothers settlement and another property that we shall each receive a percentage of when my aunt dies.

JACUSTOMER-r8whg4v2- :

To clarify. Our father died in 2008 leaving everything to our aunt. My two brothers and i have one solicitor. We came to an agreement under the inheritance act in Febuary where upon we all have separate claims for property and cash sums. At the agreement we agreed to have up to date valuations on the properties involved. A valuation was done using one valuer for the properties that concerned one of my brothers and i with no trouble at all. The problem arises with two properties that are to become part settlement for my eldest brother and another property that us three brothers have a share in. There has been a delay in getting those valuations because there has been some kind of interference from my aunts husband asking the valuer to holdfire on releasing those valuations to everyone involved. My own thoughts on why this is is that either my eldest brother or aunt do not agree with the valuation given and that is why it has not been forthcoming to everyone concerned.

Josh-2010 :

I am so sorry for the delay in reverting to you. I was unavailable yesterday and the site has been suffering with technical difficulties today which have prevented me from responding. May I continue to assist you with this question? I am available somewhat this evening and all day tomorrow... I look forward to hearing from you.

JACUSTOMER-r8whg4v2- :

Too late now, i needed an answer two days ago.

JACUSTOMER-r8whg4v2- :

Josh-2010 :

I am sorry that I was unable to assist this time.